Oman: Adopting the Eleventh Edition of the Nice Classification18-03-2018
The Legal Group Advocates & Legal Consultants (TLG) would like to inform our clients and associates as of February, 2018 Oman has started implementing the Eleventh (11th) edition of Nice Classification replacing the 10th edition.
The implemented 11th edition will have no effect on the existed filed and registered trademarks done earlier in Oman. However, upon next renewal, goods and classes affected by this change should be reclassified accordingly by the Trademark Office by amending the list of goods/services as to bring it in compliance with the Eleventh Edition.
The Eleventh Edition bring along major revisions which can be detailed as following:
- Class headings affected by current revisions are classes: 3, 6, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28, 31 and 45.
- The addition of “herbal extracts for cosmetic purposes” under class 3.
- The addition of “herbal extracts and physiotherapy preparations for medical purposes” under class 5.
- The addition of “body composition monitors” under class 10.
- All serving “utensils” are grouped under class 21 instead of class 8.
- “Eyelash brushes” and ”foam toe separators for use in pedicures”, are classified under class 21.
- The Service of “unlocking of mobile phones” under class 42.
- The service class 45, now include “dog walking”, “kimono dressing assistance” and “conducting religious ceremonies”.
- The addition of several new goods under classes 29 and 30, including guacamole, onion rings, falafel, bibimbap, dulce de leche, almond, peanut and coconut milks, as well as nut- and chocolate-based spreads.
- Last but not least, Escamoles (prepared edible ant larvae) edible insects have also been added under classes 29 and 31.
Meanwhile, The Legal Group remains at your disposal for any further information and assistance you may need.
Contact TLG for more information, IP or legal advice.